Friday 3 January 2014

Introducing DEN

I recently found out about the Discovery Education Network (DEN), a teaching resource that has been provided to us in the Surrey School District. It is a website that has a ton of useful content and activities to enhance the curriculum and engage students in their learning (as well as online utilities to help teachers manage their classes use of the tools). Plus, it has the BC learning outcomes built in, allowing you to search for content by PLO - an added bonus!



I've been able to find a lot of videos for my science learning outcomes (specifically human body for the grade 5's). Sometimes my problem is that there is too much content to sort through. Usually I try and stick to videos that have lesson plans and worksheets attached to help me with my planning.


Setting up my class was also really easy, as our Surrey Tech Guys have put in all the students in Surrey into their login database.  The students use their Surrey-issued email address as their account, and when I search to add students to my class, my view is already filtered so I can only see students at my school.  I can create separate classes for my 5's and 6's, and assign different content to each of them.



I've recently become a DEN Star, which means that I've shared my DEN experiences with staff and now have access to more features.  Expect more updates as I find new things to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment