Wednesday 1 January 2014

Freshgrade beta

I would love a grade book app that supports rubrics, and I haven't found one yet.  The new beta from Freshgrade looks like it has potential to change that.

One feature that I've found to be interesting is the ability to tag multiple learning outcomes for each assessment.  I like the idea of assessing assignments with a cross-curricular focus.

They also have multiple assessment scales, including the 1-4 scale that is the basis of report cards in Surrey.  If they can expand this into into rubrics, they will have something that I will definitely use.



Another feature I like is the iPhone app for anecdotal text and picture assessment.  It doesn't currently have any tagging for learning outcomes, so any notes you make go into the student's assessment stream.  Not too useful for assessing yet, but there is still time for that to change.

The support for split classes is also appreciated - activities and learning outcomes can be assigned to subgroups of students, with the default choices being by grade.  Very thoughtful!

This website is currently 70% of the way to the system that I would have created.  I'm looking forward to participating in the beta and hopefully they continue improving what is a promising product.

No comments:

Post a Comment